So last week in the midst of marches and protests and social media vitriol, I heard the Lord speak to me clearly.
I didn’t hear Him as I watched FOX News or CNN.
Nor did He say a word as I scrolled through the barrage of news media tweets on my phone.
He was completely silent as I trolled Facebook and lamented over the clash of opinions.
No, the Lord spoke not a peep as I rehashed the latest.
When I finally decided that I was done with all the noise, I made space for His voice to whisper in the quiet.
I was driving to work on the turnpike lost in thought with the radio set to K-LOVE when my senses were awakened by the clear call of the Holy Spirit.
I honestly have no idea who was broadcasting on the radio, but the prophet proclaimed two words that quietly planted themselves in my heart:
Yes, Lord. Yes.
This is the call.
I’m saying goodbye to controversy and contention.
I will walk humbly forward with hands extended. My words will be laced with grace that rises up from a poised soul.
Rather than opine and offend to win, I will open up and offer all to invite others in to His redemption.
I will be sweetly reasonable. Want to join me?
5 Ways to Live with Sweet Reasonableness
- Stand on your firm foundation: Speak the truth in love, but never shout. Respectfully communicate your firm resolve with strength under control. (Philippians 4:1)
- Seek common ground: Look for areas where mutual understanding is possible. Listen with compassion. (vs. 2-3)
- Sparkle with His joy: The joy of the Lord is your strength. Let it rise up within you and bubble over into every corner of contention. Rejoicing, not rancor must be your resolve. (v. 4)
- Storm heaven’s gates: If you are going to strive anywhere, let it be in your prayer closet. Offer up the unhappy state of affairs to your Sovereign King. He alone transforms hearts and re-writes history. (vs. 6-7)
- Stimulate hopeful thoughts: Don’t get dragged into discord. Defend your heart and mind by rehearsing the never-changing promises of God. (vs.8-9)
Let’s purpose to soften our approach and just maybe our sweet reasonableness will stimulate a change in our world.
Something to think about…
Writer Friends: I’m going to be taking a bit of a bloggy break next week. Let’s meet here again in February to link up and share our stories.
I’m sharing “Sweet Reasonableness” with like-minded friends at Faith-Filled Friday.
Have you written something thought-provoking, challenging, encouraging, or inspiring lately? Link it up here! For best results, write the title of your post in the name box. 🙂
As a courtesy, please link back to 3-D Lessons for Life in your post. Grab and share the Thought-Provoking Thursday button to spread the word. Use #ThoughtProvokingThursday to share your post and connect on Twitter.
Check back later to see what other GREAT posts have been linked up! Visit the post immediately before yours and leave an encouraging comment.