I could not watch the video. Everything in me wanted to cry and throw up at once.
Instead, I closed my web browser and picked up my phone.
“Someone turn off the news please,” I texted to my best friend.
Her response captured my sentiments exactly: “The rapture would be good right about now.”
I’m ready for overwhelming joy, implacable peace, and perfect love.
I’m ready for the “no mores.” No more weeping. No more hatred. No more violence. No more sorrow and death.
I’m ready for suffering to be a distant memory.
Unfortunately, God’s time-table is not mine. I am still here in this broken world living and breathing and trying to figure out how to love my neighbor — even if he is holding an assault rifle or gripping my neck in a choke hold until I can’t breathe.
I am here for such a time as this. I am here to be a voice crying out in the wilderness. I am here to shine my little light brightly in a dark place until blind eyes are opened and captives are set free.
I am not allowed to bury my head the sand and hope that someone else will clean up this mess.
I must jump into the mess with the love of Christ.
Earth has no sorrow that heaven cannot heal, so I must use my hands and feet to bring God’s transforming touch to those who need him so desperately.
5 Ways to Be a Healing Balm in a Broken World
- Listen: Rather than choose sides, affirm that the emotions and positions of each person should be valued. No one is right. We all need to learn from one another.
- Weep: Grieve with the hurting. Step into their pain to extend compassion. Standing on a soapbox of self-righteousness only opens the wound of another further.
- Pray: “Prayer is the soil in which hope and healing grow best.” [Source] Ask God to bring peace and reconciliation.
- Give: Extend the hand of kindness and friendship to the hurting. Tender-hearted service is a remedy that soothes the trauma.
- Speak: Tell the hurting how God has healed you. Don’t be afraid to share your story with those who need God’s restoration.
Don’t closet yourself up from the chaos. Step out and apply the salve of God’s love and mercy to a hurting world.
Something to think about…
I’m sharing “5 Ways to Be a Healing Balm” with like-minded friends at Faith-Filled Friday.
Have you written something thought-provoking, challenging, encouraging, or inspiring lately? Link it up here! For best results, write the title of your post in the name box. 🙂
As a courtesy, please link back to 3-D Lessons for Life in your post. Grab and share the Thought-Provoking Thursday button to spread the word. Use #ThoughtProvokingThursday to share your post and connect on Twitter.
Check back later to see what other GREAT posts have been linked up! Visit the post immediately before yours and leave an encouraging comment.