My husband I were verbally processing our emotions last night regarding an ongoing “situation” that has affected our family.
Well, I personally think it’s impacted our family — I’ve lost sleep over it. I’ve vented on the phone to my best friend in a high-pitched screechy voice. I’ve confessed to God that I know my explosive response is not pleasing to Him and asked for His help in changing my terrible attitude.
In short, the “situation” has gotten up in my craw.
Bruce, on the other hand, is just fine. Thank you. He told me last night that it’s not really bothering him at all.
While I am languishing in a quagmire, he is singing a happy tune and moving on with life.
I thought I was the optimist in the family, but now I am re-considering my personality profile.
I know I need to surrender my expectations. I know I need to walk in grace.
My unhappiness is not someone else’s problem. I can adopt a different perspective.
Rather than complain about what is not, I can choose to be thankful for what is.
I can determine to count my many blessings, and by naming them one by one, I will fight the ugly.
5 Things I am Thankful for Today:
- I am breathing: I get to live today. This is a gift, never to be taken for granted.
- “Let everything that has breath praise the Lord” (Psalm 150:6, NIV).
- I am forgiven: I am free from sin and condemnation. I’ve passed from death to life because of Christ. That’s reason to celebrate every day of the year.
- “Praise the Lord, my soul; all my inmost being, praise His holy name. Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all His benefits—who forgives all your sins…’ (Psalms 103:1-3).
- I am loved: God cherishes me, and nothing will ever change that. He will always draw near to me. He welcomes me in and embraces my beautiful uniqueness.
- “Praise the Lord. Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever” (Psalm 106:1).
- I am protected: I am hemmed in by God and nothing can touch me without His permission. If I am experiencing any difficulty today, God will re-purpose my pain for His glory.
- “But let all who take refuge in You be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread Your protection over them, that those who love Your name may rejoice in You” (Psalm 5:11).
- I always have hope: My story is not finished yet. God holds my tomorrow, and He is the Lord of the comeback. Focusing on Christ, rather than my circumstances, will help me to overcome the blues.
- “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit” (Romans 15:13).
I want to be a blessing counter, not a crybaby.
Let’s remember His goodness, rather than rehearse negativity.
Something to think about…
I’m sharing “Be a Blessing Counter” with like-minded friends at Faith-Filled Friday.
Have you written something thought-provoking, challenging, encouraging, or inspiring lately? Link it up here! For best results, write the title of your post in the name box. 🙂
As a courtesy, please link back to 3-D Lessons for Life in your post. Grab and share the Thought-Provoking Thursday button to spread the word. Use #ThoughtProvokingThursday to share your post and connect on Twitter.
Check back later to see what other GREAT posts have been linked up! Visit the post immediately before yours and leave an encouraging comment.